Saturday, December 10, 2011

Surrender

There I am on the battlefield. I lie there lonely by myself. I have been stripped of everything I have- my armor, my shield, my weapon... my dignity.

Initially, I tried to fight by myself. I am resourceful, I can figure something out. So weaponless, I flail my pathetic hands in hopes that it will ward off the enemy. I try fighting with sticks I find in the midst of this darkness, but am only left worse-off than before. I try running. I try hiding. It might get me safe through the night, but it's not a guarantee. I just want this to be easy and done with... this battle.

Then I was beaten down again. Having nothing left I couldn't even stand. The enemy laughs, spitting in my face as he revels in his "so-called" win.

I swallow it.
Pride, that is.

I look around realizing what the answer is. I grab hold of what happens to be laid in front of me this whole time... a white flag. Hesitantly, I pick it up and wave it with the last bit of anything I have left in me. Relief and freedom sweep over me giving me peace from the top of my head to the tip of my toes.

I surrender.

Not to the enemy, but to myself. I surrender to trying to fight the battle alone.

Then, I am rescued. Seeing my white flag, my fellow warriors and family come to my rescue.
HE comes in the form of the Body.

Covering me
Bandaging me up
Reminding me of who I am fighting for
Helping me put my armor back on
Equipping me with my weapon... my precious sword.

My wound is still painful, it will take time to heal. I may not be a fierce warrior right now... but once this wound is healed I will be stronger and more equipped then ever before. I will know how to bandage up my brothers and sisters who also lie there stripped and defeated.

We will rise to Victory when we come together and are willing to wave our white flag.

1 Corinthians 12:21-26


21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.


James 5:13-16


13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.


No comments: