Thursday, December 2, 2010

November 20th 1980

CAUTION: Mushy Blog Post

You might not know this, but November 20th 1980 was an incredible day! On this fall day in Skokie, IL Joel David Russell was born. Look how cute he was a few years later...


I know I wasn't there or anything, I was still a glimmer in my parent's eyes, but I know this was a great day because Joel Russell came in to this world. I have only known him 7 of the last 30 years, but he has been the biggest impact in my life. Let me give you just a FEW of the reasons why I think Joel Russell is amazing:

- He loves God a lot! He is always wanting to know more about God and have a deeper relationship with Him. His thirst for the Word of God is amazing and inspiring.
- He is Genuine. He is always sincere in everything he does and says.
- He REALLY cares. Joel is one of the most compassionate, non-judgmental people I have ever met. He doesn't just pretend to care... he really does. He cares about the ones he loves AND complete strangers. He is generous with his time, talent, money ... everything.
- He is a calming spirit. He can stay calm and collected in the most stressful situations and with the most stressful people (ie; me). He is always rational and confident that everything will work out... even if the odds are against us.
- Attentive Listener. What an awesome listener! He can really listen and hear people out, even if he doesn't agree with them. He always lets me process my thoughts outloud with him and doesn't look at me any different when I need to "word-vomit" on him!
- Fun! We can be absolutely silly together! Plus, we like doing the same things. He is always up for an adventure, prank (well... if it's not on him) or curling up with a glass of wine and a movie.
- An amazing Daddy. Plays like he is 3 years old himself! One of my biggest joys is seeing how Joel continues to become an amazing father. I know Isaiah is one blessed child for having a daddy like him.

I feel like Will Ferrell on Elf when he yells at the top of his lungs " I AM IN LOVE I AM IN LOVE.. AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!" So, excuse my mushy blog post I just have to let it out. I love my husband..my best friend!

To celebrate Joel's 30th Birthday I threw him a 1980's themed party since he was born in 1980. Here are a few highlights from the night:





The Room

The centerpieces


The Cake

The Cupcakes

The Birthday Boy aka. Michael Jackson

The Amazing friend who traveled all the way from Chicago for the party

The Beat It Dance we surprised everyone with

The Great Company




It would have been great to have all of friends and family there. We did have 90 people come, most dressed up and really got in to the theme! Joel had a great night full of lots of laughter and dancing... turning 30 isn't so bad I guess (although I can say that since I am still 28). ;)

Happy 30th Birthday Babe!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet post, Lisa! I love the cake and 80's theme party! :)

Shellie Salza said...

I am SO jealous! That looks fantastic! Can you come to NC for a repeat? Welcome to the 30somethings Joel! Love you guys! Miss you guys!

Stacy Peterson said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! WOW!! Did he grow his hair out a bit even? You trumped my 30th bday party for my husband. I LOVE IT! Did you get a video of that dance, incredible!

LOVE how in love you are- inspriring and so real!

xoxoxoxo

-us-

Unknown said...

Not mushy at all. Love you both!