Sunday, July 22, 2012

Are You Crazy?

With good reason, I am getting this question a lot recently.  We have a 4 year old, we are 15 weeks pregnant and we are opening our house to a foster a child with no answer to how long.   Even if people don't ask the question, they are probably thinking it or they just come right out and say we're crazy!  So, to answer your question:

Yes. Yes, I am. 

It all started with this worship song called "Hosanna" by Brooke Fraser that we sing at church.  I love the declaration it makes.  Verse 2 says:
I see a generation rising up to take their place with selfless faith
I see a near revival stirring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees, on our knees. 

The kicker is the bridge:
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you  have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for your Kingdom's cause 
As I walk from earth into eternity.   


I really started praying these words over my life because I am passionate about our generation being awakened to DO something about all the injustice and brokenness in the world.  So I prayed every time I sang that song (and still do) "God, break my heart for what breaks Yours.  Everything I am for your Kingdom's cause.  Show me how to LOVE like you have loved me."

Well, God answered my prayer.  Among other things, He broke my heart for abused and neglected children. As I am writing this, He is still breaking my heart especially since I am staring at my new 3 week old foster baby who has had a rough start to life.  He is a beautiful miracle that God has entrusted my family with... to love and nurture.   
But in our human logic, it doesn't make sense- it's crazy because in our culture I don't have my "duckies" in a row.  We don't really have money, we could have 3 kids by January, we are busy, we should have a bigger house, we just got a puppy... and the list goes on and on.  I don't even think I am a great mom to be fostering a child.  I lose my patience with my own child sometimes. Shouldn't I try and get my act together first? I should have a better routine at home, make more money so I don't have to work so I can be a stay at home mom. 
But guess what?
Life is always throwing us curve balls.  Do we ever really have all our "duckies" in a row?  If we waited to love and serve when we are ready...there would be even more people who are broken, needy, poor, hungry and orphaned.  We would never be ready and the world be left helpless. 
And, guess what else? 
God provides, blesses and rewards us in our obedience to be His hands and feet on this earth. 


We pray and beg God to change the world, yet He has sent US to do just that.

I am crazy. 

I am crazy in love with Jesus and that makes me crazy in love with everything that he is crazy about.  I am crazy in love with my beautiful new foster baby.  I am so crazy over him that I will do everything I can to love and nurture him for however long that may be.  I am so crazy over him that I will be a foster parent even though our society tells me I am crazy for doing it now in the midst of our situation.  I am so crazy over him that I will sacrifice my heart breaking over his story and what might come so that he can be fostered in love right now.  I am crazy, but it would be worse if I wasn't. 
 

What are you crazy about? What are you going to do about it? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may be crazy, but it's a beautiful kind of crazy! God will never give you more than you can handle! :)